Anti-Bullying FAQ

Parents and Carers: FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

If I feel my child is being bullied who do I report it to?
You should contact the school as soon as possible and report the incident(s) to the Year Team who will investigate the incident and deal with the outcomes.  The school will take statements from all those involved and also from any witnesses to the bullying.

What if the bullying does not stop?
Once we have investigated and dealt with an incident, we try to check on how things are between the two parties after a short period.  However, if you have evidence that the matter is not resolved, please contact the Year Team as soon as possible.  If the bullying has continued, this would be taken as an even more serious matter.  The vast majority of children realise, when challenged, that their behaviour is unacceptable.  However, where children persist in making the wrong choices despite advice, warnings and sanctions, then permanent exclusion would be the final outcome. 

Should I speak to the parents/carers of the person bullying my child myself?
In our experience, this can often escalate rather than resolve the issue.  We would advise that parents contact the school.  However, matters outside school eg evenings or weekends including anything via social media or mobile phones, can also be reported to the Safer Neighbourhood Team.

My child has fallen out with her friend who has said some unpleasant things about her.  Is this bullying?
Unfortunately, children do fall out with friends from time to time.  This can result in children saying unkind things to one another.  Most of these situations are quickly resolved and the children “make up” after a short time, generally both being very sorry for the hurt they have casued one another.  However, if the situation continues, this can become bullying in nature, and needs intervention to ensure that this stops.  If you let us know of any incidents in school, then we will pick this up with the children concerned.

My child has fallen out with friends and is now being ostracised by a group of students, what should I do?
Children cannot be forced into friendships.  However, deliberate ostracising is a form of bullying and will be dealt with accordingly by the school. 

What is cyber bullying?
Cyber bullying is when a person, or a group of people, uses the internet, mobile phones or other digital technologies to threaten, tease or abuse someone.  This is illegal and can be reported to the police.

My child has received abusive messages on a social network site.  What should I do?
Report it to the social network site.  You can also report this to the police.

My child has retaliated to being bullied by another student, and is now being punished.  How is this fair?
Retaliation is never acceptable; we don’t accept physical violence as a solution to a problem.  If a child is being bullied, they must report it to the school so that appropriate action can be taken.  We never advise students to take matters into their own hands as this can escalate the problem, or even develop into bullying itself.   

Will I be informed of the sanctions given to the student who has bullied?
We will inform the parents that the student has been dealt with and a sanction has been issued; however, the details of this sanction will not necessarily be shared as these are a private matter about another student.

What if I think my child is treated unfairly by a member of staff?
Please let us know your child’s concerns, or they can talk directly to the Year Team or Subject Leader if they prefer. Usually, it is a matter of the child being very aware of any corrections or rebukes towards them, and not recognising that others are treated in the same way. However, this perception can spoil relationships. We would therefore raise the concern with the member of staff, identify any problems that need to be addressed by either the student or staff member, and then ask for feedback after a period of time to check that matters are resolved.

What do I do if I don’t agree with your policy on bullying?
As always, if you feel an approach is unfair or unreasonable, then you can write to the Headteacher and/or Governing Body asking for a review.  However, whilst any such policy is in place, the school will operate as stated.